Monday, March 21, 2011

Long Time No See

It's been awhile.  This being the first chance I've gotten to sit down and blog, I feel like I want to update on a million things.  Instead, I'll interview myself about what's been happening in hopes to link seemingly unrelated things together...  hopefully it's not too cheesy.  

First - let me start with some "THANK YOU'S!" Thank you for finding my blog! I hope all of you that stopped by come again and say "hi".   Thank you Katelain and Carol for commenting!  Made my day!  

Why are you blogging at 8:30am on a Monday?
At a crazy weekend running and co-hosting the Sr. SEMSBA festival I started coming down with a nasty cold "thing".  I got some rest yesterday - got some sunshine, some vitamin D, some running around with Gabby and Faith - but today the cold has settled into my chest and the coughing and wheezing has me thinking that I need to get myself to the Dr's.  So, before they open, I'm resting and have some time to sit and write.  I'm kicking myself for getting sick since it's also All-State week and I'm going to be out for two other days this week.  But, when your body says "rest" - you must rest.

How was your birthday?
It was,in a word, FANTASTIC.  I got those sweet messages when I got into work. Later in the day at rehearsals, my Rhythmix Gals were all late for rehearsal - just as I got frustrated, they all walked in with a cake and flowers for me and sang (as they always do) beautifully!  Then, I got to go home to my amazing family and my excited daughter.  Though Chris and Gabby hugs and kisses are gifts enough to me, they blew my mind with a Cricket Loom for me to start learning to weave!  It is FANTASTIC!  

Weaving, huh? 
Oh yeah!  It is tough to be a beginner again at something.  I decided to take Kelley Petkun's advice from her podcast on "Overcoming Mistakes" (episode 154).  One sentence that struck me was insuring that when you start, don't focus on a PROJECT.  Just go through the process and learn.  So, I've been processing with a lot of stash yarn and playing with techniques and colors to practice, practice, practice.  What has come out, I've been calling "doll scarves" and "dish cloths". :)  I'll post pictures when I'm ready to show off. :) 

How's the knitting?
Since I've been weaving, knitting took a bit of a backseat.  Since I really only have a few hours a day, the new toy got my attention. But, I got back to work this week on my two projects. 
Gabby's Garden Plot Dress 
I was VERY excited when I finished, what I thought was, the skirt of the dress last night.  Then, as I began reading the next section "with smaller cir needle, K72 front skirt panel, (pm), K72 back skirt panel" ... BACK SKIRT PANEL?  wahhhh?  Looking back to the beginning on the instructions, I see it - "SKIRT PANEL (make 2)".  UGH!  I was so ready to begin the body... and now I'm having "Second Half of Skirt Syndrome" (SHoSS)?  I even was thinking of ripping out the whole thing and saying "the hell with it".  But then I picked up the first half of the skirt, swung it around a couple of times, could picture Gabby in it spinning and dancing....  and started the second picot cast on.  

Mary Jane
This has been the easier of the two to work on.  I have finished the raglan shaping and now have begun the "snake skin" pattern on the body.  I really like this pattern and its simplicity.  

(note - white dog hair...  can never avoid it...  thanks Faith)


Any Spinning?
In fact, yes.  After the bamboo fiasco, I spun some nice, tame, undyed, Corriedale.  I'm spinning it a little thicker than usual and it's soft and lovely.    
Ahh... much better...

Anything else to add?
Gabby is super awesome.  She has enlightened us on a few things:
1. Broccoli not only makes your bones strong, "it makes your dreams come true"
2. "A whole world is in a drop of water.  You can't see it, but it's there"
3. Pea shoots are the best food on the planet.
And, there you have it. :) 

1 comment:

  1. How fun that you are weaving now! It's not something I've ever wanted to try but I think it's awesome for using up lots of yarn!

    ReplyDelete