Monday, March 28, 2011

Never Enough Time

I am looking forward at this week next couple of weeks the next month in semi-dread.

There are always weeks in the life of a music teacher where you look down the calendar from Monday and say to yourself "if I can only get through this week..."  I'm feeling "if I can only get through the next month..".  But I know, realistically, that that only gets me to April vacation and then it is crazy-time for two months after that as well.  

It's not the work that needs to get done nor the preparation.  It's the time away from home.  I love my job.  I love working with music and I love seeing the students put together their performances.  I just hate being away from Chris and Gabby.  Coming home from work and tip-toeing into her room to kiss my angel goodnight even though she's already asleep breaks my heart.  I look forward to my weekends and (too few and far between) vacations where we can be "home like a family" (in Gabby's words).  

I wish that folks could understand this side of a music teacher's life.  The side that is passionate about her job and her students, but is torn apart thinking about her family and having to choose between seeing her loved ones and offering opportunities to students.  

So, looking down this calendar week with the four days of rehearsal and show on Friday - all I see is Saturday when I can wake up with my Goo-Bear and breathe a sigh of relief that it's one week down... (umpteen to go...)

*sigh.



2 comments:

  1. Anyone who knows you knows how dedicated you are to your students. It must be hard to have to be away from your husband and daughter, and I hope you feel appreciated for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your kind words. It's been tough lately.

    ReplyDelete