Thursday, March 24, 2011

Time for All-State

I just returned from Day 1 of MMEA's All-State Conference at the Boston Seaport Hotel and World Trade Center.  I attended with mixed feelings this year.   (1) My school system couldn't pay for us to go - so I had to shell out the dough this year ... (2) I didn't have any students accepted into the ensembles (major bummer) ... (3) The sessions didn't really peak my interest... Needless to say, I wasn't jazzed (sorry...) about going.

But, I had to keep in my mind that it isn't about the sessions - it's about the people.  It was really lovely being able to attend sessions, have lunch, and just sit and talk with the other teachers from my school district.  I don't think we've ever been given the luxury of that much time to connect!  It was also amazing seeing everyone that I miss from URI and BoCo.  It was the first All-State, though, that I didn't have Denise and Gary to enjoy with.  It definitely wasn't the same without them! 

I went to four sessions today - "Emergency Repairs for the Band Teacher" (meh...  but did inspire me to take a trip to Home Depot), "The Heart of the Big Band: The Rhythm Section" (AMAZING student performers and snagged some Vic Firth stickers for my percussionists), the keynote speaker (where I was able to cast on and knit 1/2 a sock), and "High School Choral Reading Session" (where I further did damage to my already fried, hurting, tired, sick vocal cords...I really need to take time to get better from this cold from hell.)  Tomorrow I think I will only get to one session ("Vocal Jazz Lit") and maybe get to some shopping done at the exhibits. 

I have to say I was attempted to skip the convention when I first drove up, though.  There, almost like a beacon, from atop of the convention center was the banner:
 
 Wahhhh? 
Downstairs from the music ed folks and the sessions that I wasn't too crazy about is a craft show?  How did this happen?

I am happy to report that I did not wander... I did not go to the craft show... 
(only because it was closing for the day by the time I tried to... tomorrow is another day!)

In other news, here is the finished Corriedale:
Now I just need a project!


No comments:

Post a Comment